Friday, November 11, 2011

Too much baking, not enough engineering?

Returning home from gymnastics yesterday:

Me: "Come on in, Brae. Let's wash your hands and have some lunch."

Boy: "But, Mommy, I don't want to wash my hands!"

Me: "You have to, honey."

Boy: "Why?"

Me: "Because we just came from the gym, and your hands have germs on them."

Boy (Looking at hands, moving them closer and closer until they are touching his eyes): "No they don't. I don't see any."

Me: "Babe, germs are microscopic. That means they are so small that you can not see them with your eyes. You have to have a special tool called a microscope to see them."

Boy: "Can we make one? I will get some paper, and...."

Me:  "No. Brae, we can't make one."

Boy (Pouting): "Why not?"

Me: "I do not have the things we would need in order to build a microscope, honey."

Boy: "You don't have the ingredients to make a microscope?"


Me: "No, dear. I don't have the ingredients."


No comments:

Post a Comment