Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why Dragons Should Eat Children

We spent a bit of time at the zoo this week. While there, we visited the smelly Hippo house that also houses the Penguins, an Albino Python, and a Komodo Dragon. Or, so I thought.

We walked into the building, and I bee-lined for the Dragon. I can skip the dumb penguins, but I always get excited to show my kids a real life Dragon. We looked high and low in the exhibit for the beastie before seeing the sign on the glass (yes, right in front of our noses) bearing a long, two paragraph tale about the Komodo Dragon. I stood there, and began reading the sign- highlighting the important parts vocally to my two year old (who can't read, by the way).

... Hektor (the Dragon), seemed to be limping. The keepers watched her (yes, Hektor was apparently a girl), then decided she needed to be examined. The vets looked at her and determined she had a spinal neck injury...

It was at this point that I noticed a boy, maybe 8 or 9 years old, standing next to me, staring at me as I read. I looked, inquisitively, at him standing there.

"It's dead," he said to me, dryly.

"It's...?... The dragon died?!?" I said. "Man, you just gave away the ending of the story I was reading. What's up with that?"

Undaunted, he said, "Well, that is the funnest part of the story thing," and dashed away.

Funnest?! The Dragon was slain!
It's terrible news.
And still no excuse for such a pointed spoiler!

Freaky kid.

3 comments:

  1. Aw. That's sad. For Hektor and for you. And what a weird little kid. Where the heck were his parents? You know, they say, more people are killed by hippos than any other animal in Africa. Just a thought for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I.. but... what??? The komodo dragon is dead? Based on your description, I'm guessing you go to my local zoo. (I found your blog through Pammeey, btw.) My daughter will not be sad about Hektor, as he always scared the bejeezus out of her with his sitting there like a lump and doing nothing. But still. I liked the little guy. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Heather, I am so sorry to say it's the Dragon at CMZ.

    ... and I'm so flattered that the amazing plane cake maker found my blog!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete